Monday, July 12

Heat Wave

Yes, there was an official heat wave declared in Brussels. Of course, this is the same weekend I decide to go trekking all over town. I stayed hydrated, but had to take it easy on Sunday and hide in the Royal Art Museum where I knew there’d be air conditioning. I really wanted to go to a free jazz concert in Brussels Park after, but I was on the verge of death so I went home and took a nap instead.

However, I did see a lot of cool things on Saturday. First I went down to Place Flagey and the Cafe Belga. I ordered the breakfast (yes, the breakfast. There’s really only one in France and Belgium, and it consists of a hot drink like coffee, a juice of your choice, and a viennoiserie (i.e., a croissant or pain au chocolat).

The cafe is across the street from the étangs d’ixelles, or the ponds of Ixelles (name of the neighborhood). I actually saw two swans, and a million ducks. etangs d'ixelles (1)

I also walked up Rue de la Régence towards Brussels Park. This area is actually really close to the Embassy. The picture below is of the Place Royale. Trams are actually really nice in Brussels. The metro system is too extensive, so you have to use the trams and buses as well. I think they’re a lot nicer than going underground to the metro. Like a tour bus at 1/15 the cost :)along rue de la regence (8)

Here’s one of the entrances to the Brussels Park. Lions and, I think, King Leopold 2. Belgium still has a king and queen, which means they’re pretty freaking awesome. entrance to parc de bruxelles

This thinker is chilling in the Justice Palace, a colossus of marble that is unfortunately undergoing repairs and very ugly from the front. palais de justice (3)

I just liked this picture, taken off the Place Royale. The sky! You can kind of tell how the street is on a slight hill. Much of Brussels is on a hill, not large ones, but helpful for navigation. By the Justice Palace there is an elevator down because there’s such a steep drop. Most of the time you don’t really notice the hills though.

place royale (2)

That’s all I know for now folks. I’m going to a roundtable talk tomorrow night for work, so I doubt I’ll get around to seeing any thing new until Wednesday. And then this weekend I’m going to Luxembourg!

No comments:

Post a Comment