Saturday, July 3

First glance at Brussels

Today, after getting some much needed groceries and indulging in a few sale items at the shops (every store seems to have sales going on this weeked), I took the metro over to the Grand Place area and walked around for awhile.

People can actually have backyards here (as opposed to Paris). Also, just in my neighborhood I've seen a lot more parking available than I ever saw in Paris.

Kriek- aka Cherry Beer- is the greatest thing ever. Tastes like cherry pop, so of course its my new favorite drink. Had to take a break after the crowds at the Grand Place and Rue Neuve (large shopping street, so of course packed on a Saturday afternoon) got to be too much.

Brussels is apparently famous for the cartoon murals it has all over the city. I found this goofy one in a side street.

The Grand Place. I thought there'd be more cafes, but I really just saw two or three. And a lot of tourists. I don't think I'll be hanging out here, but it was good to see.

I've noticed a couple of good things about Brussels. One, people dress more casually than Paris so I'm not feeling constantly underdressed. The metro is easy to navigate, but the streets really confuse me (none of them really like to follow a straight line). And the mix of French and Flemish languages is interesting. Confusing when everything is written twice, once in each language, but its fun to try to guess who will be speaking what when you pass them on the street.

And that's it folks. I have to finish up my research project from home so I can FINALLY turn it in. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment