Monday, March 2

Food

I think describing the food I've eaten in the last 24 hours might be a good way to describe what I did during that time as well.

Last night there was a family birthday party for my host sister's 18th birthday and there was an amazing buffet- salmon fresh from Helsinki (thanks to the mom's Finnish bff), lots of dishes of Eastern European descent (due to the mom's parents being from Eastern Europe) and CHEESECAKE. That's right, my mom's very own cheesecake recipe transmitted to the other side of the world. My host mom got really excited a few days ago when she found out that my mom makes cheesecake. So I got the recipe, translated it for her and hoped that everything would turn out ok. And it was a huge success! Everyone loved it and several people asked for the recipe. As always, MamanWinter's cooking makes lots of friends.

Breakfast this morning was the same thing I've been eating for breakfast for a week- bread with nutella and muesli cereal and some coffee. Lots of carbs to load me up with energy for all the walking I was going to do. I wandered around the two islands in the middle of the Seine today, the oldest parts of Paris.

For lunch I met up with some friends and had a very delicious meal at a restaurant by our school. The "formule" (fixed menu type deal) was 13 euro and included a hunk of beef with potatoes, fromage blanc (which is basically yogurt) with fruit puree and coffee. YUM. I was a little nervous while we were waiting for our food- the waiter had asked me how done I wanted my meat...and I didn't have the vocab for it. I really had no idea what to say. So I just said it didn't matter. And it was DELICIOUS. So thank you, lack of vocab (in this case anyways!).

That meal lasted me through a trip to Pere Lachaise cemetry- lots of famous dead people, including my favorite Moliere (and we saw a cat!--see above). On the way home I hit up Monoprix (kind of like a super Target) and got some groceries to make dinner. I found some of my most favorite candy- Kinder Bueno, which is impossible to find at home. YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment