Sunday, March 22

Le Weekend

Jack came to visit me in Paris this weekend and it was super super bon. Friday we walked around the area by Montmartre, where he lived for a summer. Later that night I got to meet his friend Mathieu who lives basically across the street from the Georges Pompidou Center(the building in the picture there). Mathieu's gf Jeanne and his coworker Pablo were also there. Pablo was great- he's from Avignon in the south and has an accent that Mathieu mocks endlessly. We also ended up hanging out with this gang on Saturday night, sharing the most terrible music that has come from each of our countries (Americans- the boys bands of the 90's, Frenchies- some catastrophically bad singer named Claude François).

Jack and I also hit up three really good musuems this weekend- much more enjoyable than the tourist death trap known as the Louvre. We went to the Monet musuem by his old house, the Cognacq-Jay Museum (art from the 18th century in France-- my favorite) and the Museum of Jewish Art and History in the Marais neighborhood (where the Jewish community has been established since apparently the 13th century).

However, most importantly, we went to see a MOLIÈRE play!! Yay!! We saw Le Médicin Malgré Lui in a tiny little theatre that was really just a room with a bunch of chairs for the audience and a table and some glasses as props. And it was AWESOME. With Molière (in my humble opinion) its really the words that count. Anyways it was super bootleg and I loved it and I want to go again. The theater is doing like 25 Molière plays right now, about four a day, until the end of March. Also (to my extreme happiness) as me, Jack, Mathieu and Pablo were walking to go get dinner on Saturday night we walked past a huge statue of Molière and the house where he died. Yay Paris!

Me and a statue of Victor Hugo...Jack apparently didn't like Hugo's head so much, but you get the idea.

Molière is the bestest.

2 comments:

  1. dude, if you want to go back and see more moliere, i'm in. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized you had a blog! J'adore ca. I plan on reading it now...if that's ok, I supposed? :-)

    ReplyDelete