Monday, March 30

Walking towards tall things usually produces good results

Today I didn't have any class or any plans (other than picking up the easter package from my mom-thank you!), so I decided to do two things- take the bus and walk towards tall things.

After picking up the package I went to the Viaduc des Arts near my school. This is tall. Its an old viaduc that now has art stores under it and a path with lots of plants and greenery planted above it (like that pretty white fleur). I want to take a longer walk along it someday because I think it goes quite a ways, but I needed lunch.

Then I got on the bus and headed towards Place d'Italie, an area on the left bank that I haven't explored yet. When I get there the tallest thing I see is a mall. For the sake of my bank account and my culture conscience I avoid it and strike off down one of the large avenues leading away from the place until I get to a cute little street called La Butte aux Cailles (a butte, those are tall). And its so cuuute! There were smaller buildings than elsewhere in Paris and it felt like a little town rather than a big city. And then I saw another tall thing and it was a church. So I went there and was the only person in there, which was kind of creepy as emtpy churches tend to be. However, I learned that it served as one of many charitable institutions for the 13th arrondissment during the 19th century, when the neighborhood was one of the poorest in the city. Chouette.

I took the bus half way home, getting off at Sevres-Babylone because I saw a papeterie and I needed to get a card. And I saw a tall thing that turned out to be the Église St-Sulpice! The church was so huge, it felt even bigger than Notre Dame. They're renovating one of the towers so I couldn't quite get the effect of the whole place, but it was great all the same. One of my top five cathedrals fo sho.

After coming home (lamely, on the metro) I read at a café for awhile and gorged on easter candy, then went out to eat more food with my two amigas. We ate grecs, which are basically the French version of gyros. They kind of make my stomach hurt, so I got a vegetarian one, and my stomach still hurts. They're kind of McDonald's quality food, but quite popular.

So that's all I know for now. I'm going to bonbon detox and you keep walking towards tall things.

Sainte-Sulpice and fountain.
Rar! Lion on the foutain.

No comments:

Post a Comment